Continuation of Interview with the Mayor of Richmond

P1320758

We were delighted to have a visit from the Mayor of Richmond who had a tour of the school and kindly answered some questions from our Journalists.

Josi asked:

What input have you had into the Rugby World Cup?

Mr Mayor answered – I have been on the Planning Committee which had to give permission for the Fan Zone in Old Deer Park and other places. We also gave permission for some of the licensed activities around the tournament and were consulted about the A316 closures before, during and after the games at the Stadium.

Rahil asked:

What did you think of the Opening Ceremony and what was your favourite part?

Mr Mayor answered –  I was sitting just above the tunnel where the players run out onto the field and behind me were the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry, the Prime Minister and Boris Johnson the Mayor of London. My favourite part of the Ceremony was when the Pillars lifted in the middle of the pitch, but I also enjoyed being part of the audience of 82,015 spectators all singing together. This was very moving. I was also very lucky to be on the boat when the World Cup went down the Thames, I was sitting next to the England Ladies Rugby Captain. They are the current World Champions.

Lena asked:

After the Rugby World Cup has finished, what will be the legacy for this area?

Mr Mayor answered – There are 2 sides to the legacy. The legacy for the sport of rugby which has introduced 400 more schools to the sport and the legacy for local projects which the RFU is sponsoring. Before the RWC started, there had been the rebuilding of Whitton Station, Whitton High Street and Twickenham High Street. The RFU has also given £10,000 to update Murray Park. Tourism will also get a boost as Twickenham is introduced to other people.

Thank you to the Mayor for coming to our school and talking to our Journalists.

One thought on “Continuation of Interview with the Mayor of Richmond”